- First Set Your Mailer To
Plain Text Ascii
- People often fail the first few times with Majordomo: No problem, do Not be
discouraged ! Just a simple learning process, give it a
few goes, analyse the responses for a few minutes, Succeed
after a few tries & tell your friends you too Learnt
Analogy: Did you learn to drive a car ?
- Did you jump in like & clueless monkey, jerk
pedals, levers & wheel, and Crash ?
- Did you complain to a garage mechanic you'd never paid
to work for you, to demand free car repair, 'cos his/her
fuel pump jumped in the way of your car ?
- Or did you take some lessons, look at the car
hand book, & pay for fuel & help from the garage
Did you ever LEARN to drive your computer ?
- A computer is more complex than a car.
- Did you ever take some lessons ?
- Ever read some manuals ? or "How To" web pages ?
- Do you do the monkey impression, The clueless clicker
- Then complain, moan, & demand free help 'cos you're
too lazy to learn ?
- OR Did you ever try Reading, Experimenting,
Thinking & Retrying till you succeed ?
This page Below here is not yet merged.
Some content repeated, as
I Have No Time, So.
Do Not ask me for my non existant free time to help
- Do Not ask list owner to waste
his/her time unpaid, because you are too lazy to learn,
- Learn to use the Free Majordomo It always works correctly, &
It is Always people too lazy to Think,
or people failing to Set Their Mailer To
Plain Text Ascii before sending Ascii plain text to Majordomo.
- Do not mail list or majordomo owner
before you try a minimum of 4 mails to Majordomo, analysing responses.
Analyse & enclose copies
of all 4 attempts to list owner: what you sent Majordomo, what you got back & how you
learnt & improved on it: Show you are not another lazy
lame brain; Show you really did try to do your own
subscription, & gain the sympathy of the list owner to
donate his/her time to helping you. Those who do not try hard are Ignored.
If you mail the owner using HTML
mail, the owner will presume you also failed to
Set your mailer to Ascii plain
text before mailing Majordomo, so you
will be ignored or told:
Try Majordomo again using a
mail tool that you first Set To Plain
Text Ascii before you send Ascii plain text to Majordomo .
If you remain too lazy to learn, thus
- Realise the list owner's time is NOT free for you to
Either Pay In
Advance, Before asking to waste list owner's
Pay a charity, eg
10 Euros & post list owner the receipt
stamped by the bank.
- Author & List owners etc never accept
payment. Nor will we do internet banking for you, or
anything else that involves us wasting our time for
- If you want to waste our time, first You must
donate direct to a charity & provide receipt !
(It would make less than zero sense for us to incur
the time overhead of receipts, accounting & tax,
for trivial amounts from troublesome people already
too lazy to learn the free robot).
- Any unsubscribing have already received free
service on the list, & should be grateful for
what was already received free. They are Not entitled
to freely waste the time of list owners to personaly
- The robot never fails, it's Always the human too
lazy to learn !
- Always people wanting to save their time by
wasting the list owners time instead, claiming they
are too busy, lazy, or dumb & trying to waste
list owners time free of charge.
- List owners are not interested what your excuse
is, our time is not yours free to waste.
- Choose: Spend your time to learn to use the robot
or Spend your Money on charity, we list owners have
no free time=money to waste.
- Or Buy someone else, a Beer or cake for advice how
to use Majordomo . (Yes
a Beer costs less
than a pizza, The list owner would prefer you reward
others to encourage spread of skill. The list owner does
not want you to waste his/her time.)
- Or cease to be another lazy incompetent person making
lame excuses, & engage brain & Learn to use Majordomo !
- Top Of Majordomo
- Ask some more experienced friend / colleague if you get
stuck, (but NOT the Majordomo owner who gets overloaded
with admin tasks & help requests !)
- If you see someone struggling, offer them some advice,
& tell them they should in turn advise others what they
- Spread the skill base, so people become self
Top Of Majordomo
Do Not Complain !
- You pay berklix.org nothing
& so are formally entitled to nothing in return.
Anything you receive is a free gift of services &
time from the domain owner, list owner &
majordomo-owner administrator etc. !
- You may pay your Internet provider for services but
you do not pay Berklix so do Not
aggressively demand your non-existent customer rights
- You don't even get advertised at, from berklix.org
- Majordomo provides you a
free service from berklix
- Neither you nor anyone else pay the majordomo-owner@
or list-owner@ for the time spent administering your
lists for free.
- There are many lists under berklix.org, & many
people on the numerous lists - it's a statistical
inevitability some want to complain.
- That doesn't mean a complainant is right, some just
are anti-social, & like to moan. & attempt to
force the world to revolve round their personal
preferences, while making no contribution
- List & server admin is generally a thankless
unpaid pain, so don't make it feel like a waste of time
If You Must (Sigh!) Complain - Do It Politely,
Constructively, Intelligently & above all Educatedly
- Ensure your complaint is not due to your own
- Complain to a list-owner@, but avoid complaining to
majordomo-owner@ unless you are sufficiently competent to
understand the server technical issues.
- Remember the unpaid list-owner@ or majordomo-owner@
might decide you'r more trouble than you'r worth, &
toss you off all groups & lists. Probably not, but
they have the power, & their time is Not yours to
gratuitously waste, so be polite & constructive.
Don't Complain - Contribute !
- Majordomo is a free
program from contributers: If you are too busy/ lazy/
incompetent/ mean/ to contribute your time or money to
enhance, pay others to enhance, or translate Majordomo program, documentation &
help scripts, don't expect others to necessarily be
interested in wasting their time or money addressing your
- Majordomo provides all
that many of us need, but yes, nicer functionality will
be available some day:
Top Of Majordomo
- Learn to Help Yourself with Majordomo
Sorry, The Majordomo owner Has No Free Time To Help
Too Many People : There were 700 addresses on the server
at last look , most are not computer
competent, & would like peridioc free personal help
from a human, if they could get it free of charge, when
they can't be bothered to learn how to use Majordomo
. That's too many People !
The administrator is Not Paid by anyone ! He only runs
the server, He is NOT a free help desk for you ! Learn to
Help Yourself with Majordomo
- Instead the Majordomo owner
reserves his/her personal time for writing help pages such as
for Majordomo, & spends time
maintaining & enhancing the mail list server
infrastructure. The Majordomo web
page & robot are Free, so use them !
- If you don't understand. ask some friend, Not Me.
- Offer your friends money, Beer, or food to help you.
- Do Not Ask Me For Help
- I am a freelance
- My `free' time is scarce, valuable, & not yours to
- I am not paid to help you,
- I am not here to help you,
- I have no liability to help you.
- I cannot afford time to help you, Sorry.
DO NOT ASK TO CONSUME MY TIME
- Very many know me, & would like to ask me for
occasional help - Thank goodness they do Not !
- Think what a constant waste of time that would amount
to for me !
- I reserve my time for the demanding stuff others
don't do: Server hardware, software, configurations &
- Plus I help organise lots of events for various clubs,
- I give enough of my time away free.
- Do Not ask to consume my time. Go ask someone else
- I have no Time for clueless people who are too lazy to
first try hard to help themselves.
- Do Not Ask Me to help you
- My free time is very limited, & not for individuals
to consume. Many others can help clueless individuals.
- I am a freelance
- It's Your problem to master Your mailer software, it's
no one else's problem, you have no right to demand free
- Learn to drive your mailer properly, or get a better
one, & learn that instead.
- If you didn't choose your mailer, & your company
did, ask whoever is responsible for computer support in
- If your whole company is overloaded, & not enough
computer support is available, corporate computer support is
- Ask a more competent friend or colleague who knows your
mailer to talk you through how they send Ascii mail.
- Install an extra mailer on your computer that your
friends & colleagues recommend, so they can advise you
how to use something they know.
- Get a friend to visit & install better mailer
software on your PC. Or visit a competent friend & see
how they install & use their mailer to send Ascii.
- Try a different mailer at an Internet cafe
- Visit a friend/ colleague, connect to the net with
their computer rather than yours, probably using your login
name & password, & use their mailer to send &
confirm Ascii subscribe mail to & from Majordomo
- Tell a friend/ colleague your account & password,
& get them to use their computer to mail the Majordomo subscribe/ unsubscribe &
receive & respond to the authorising confirmation that
Majordomo requires. Later if you
want, change you password to something new.
- Don't whine, (as a few have), that you don't want to
give your password away, even though you'r too incompetent
& lazy to learn. Friends or colleagues are more likely
to offer to help those who are stuck, if they show proof of
having tried to think for them-self.
- Some people labour under a delusion born perhaps of a
mixture of incompetence, laziness & wishful thinking:
that it's a list owner's unpaid obligation to waste time to
help them subscribing & un-subscribing,
- Some groups have consumed far more time per head than
all other lists. Too much time for too long. Free
subscription help is no longer available. The robot is free, but for Human Consultancy
Time it's Cash (Or Beer) In Advance !
- People invest time & money to learn to drive a car
... Yet when people buy a computer, they're often too lazy
& mean, to invest time or money to go to computer night
classes, training courses, read a mailer manual, read a Majordomo help page, or even think
hard, trying to solve simple computer usage puzzles - such
as how to send Ascii mail.
- "Engage Brain & Think" is not optional. If a few
are both too incompetent & too lazy to learn to
subscribe or unsubscribe, that's their loss. Others not too
lazy, who just need help, should look at Your Solutions above, and at the Majordomo page.
- Start reading, experimenting,
thinking, learning !