Spam filter or spam reporting service:
To identify the sender of an offending message, you may be able
to identify the originating IP address through one of the
following web sites:
Sendmail & other MTA (Mail Transfer Agents) support
facilities like R-DNS-Lookup & black holing etc.
Spammers Are Liars Who Say Spam Helps Business.
- Spam @ work wastes employee time = wages = lost
- Spam @ home wastes leisure time.
- Spam comprises 60% (*) of internet mail bandwidth, not
paid by the polluter, but by other innocents. (*): SZ
reported Oct 2003 from Yahoo & MSoft.
- Spam costs net servers extra bandwidth & disc &
CPU costs to move the traffic.
- Spam filtering is CPU intensive
- Spam consumes yet more CPU time to filter &
- Spam filtering delays mail delivery.
- Extra net servers cost acquisition capital.
- Extra net servers incur running costs: electricity,
wasted energy, more load on air conditioned server rooms,
more global warming, etc.
- Extra net servers need more computer administrators: more
wages wasted, raised costs to consumers, & skills
- Spam wastes money spent purchasing commercial spam
- Spam wastes volunteer programmers time, who write free
spam reduction software, when they could be writing something
more beneficial (if we weren't drowning in Spam).
- Spam drowns individually written genuine business
correspondence & proposals, individually written items to
1 or 2 specific customers, can take hours to write, but get
deleted with tens or hundreds of spams by one click.
Spam: Brand/ Noun/ Verb/ History etc
- The Spam brand of compressed tinned pork food product was
being sold, long before unconnected spammers started sending
unsolicited commercial bulk emails.
- Monty Python later did the Spam sketch (which also
pre-dated unsolicited commercial bulk email).
- Usage of the word is believed to derive from the
Reports Spammers To The Authorities
There are lots of pages on this, This is a growing index of
which abuse@ responders recommend what:
- Spamming from Germany is illegal, probably in UK too ?
& now also from California - (SZ wrote 27.10.2003 Paul
Willis & Claudia Griffin owners of PW Marketing LLC got
fined $2 million, + an )
- Spammers are scum, so disrupt both their business &
personal(*) life, as they intrude into both our personal
& business lives.
- Report them to Internet providers, black hole mail list,
the police, or anyone else appropriate.
- Do make sure you've found a guilty spammer though, &
not just a hijacked or masquerade 3rd party innocent etc.
Most people using email aren't currently capable of
identifying who's really spamming them, as the spammers
masquerade as others. So get help from someone knowledgeable,
EG your internet provider. Always include the full unchanged
mail header, which is vital to chasing & prosecuting
- Complain to: USA Federal
Trade Commission via Email.
Perhaps if enough people tell FTC they use a filter to auto
delete all [unknown sender] USA email, FTC might persuade the
idiots in the USA congress to repeal their obnoxious world
polluting spam promotion law [Bill S.1618 Title iii ?],
because it'll be bad for real American (except spammer)
business, if too many in the rest of the world auto delete
If you need help, try
Avoid Using Microsoft Operating Systems & Mailers: