By Julian H. Stacey
Ideas To Avoid Corona & other Viruses
This page hastily assembled in 2020-03, pointed to from all Berklix pages with this logo
in the margin or footer:
Yes it needs editing. Some stuff now common consensus & to
Newer stuff mostly at end
- SARS-CoV-2, the name of the virus that causes the disease
Covid-19. Some studies on other corona viruses, including
Sars and Mers, found they can survive on metal, glass and
plastic for as long as nine days, unless they are properly
disinfected. Some can even hang around for up to 28 days in
- Tell colleagues who struggle in to work: "Don't infect
all of us! Go Home!"
- Tell coughers &/or yourself in shops : "Best shop
when not crowded!"
- Minimise peak contagion:
- Remind careless healthy adults: they too will have no
hospital for normal accidents & emergencies, if already
overflowing with young & old with Corona.
- Cough & Sneeze In To Crook Of Elbow, Not On Hand or
- (If using hand or handkerchief, high speed photography
shows sneeze air born droplets blasting through between
fingers & cloth. Better to squeeze fingers together,
& make a 45 degree deflector blast wall to divert germs
downward ? (Like airport plane parks have 45 degree blast
walls pointing blast pressure up, to test jet engines).
Stop Shaking Hands !!
- Un-necessary, (the habit started from showing
opponents we have no weapon (knife, sword) in hand). The
2,000 year old Roman greeting is better, say "Salvate!"
wiktionary . org / wiki / salvate somewhat similar to
modern Bavarian/Austrian "Servus"
en . wiktionary . org / w / index . php ? title = servus & rdfrom=Servus# German)
& present right hand vertical, palm forward, arm
folded at elbow (Not arm raised at shoulder Nazi style,
Not palm slapping American black youth style). (Germans
shake even more than Brits BTW).
- (PS Most Westerners use right hand to clean anus with
paper after excreting, & same right hand to shake
& eat with. Arabs use left hand for cleaning, &
right to eat. Most people are right handed & may use
right hands more on public transport grips etc. Where
have all those right hands been ? ;-) Reduce hand shaking
- Finally German Chancellor Merkel also said stop
shaking hands 2020-03-18.
- (* A large medical company in Munich has long planned
to rent an office block in Munich with only cold water in
the toilet wash rooms! Stupid!)
Don't Touch Face When Out
- We all touch our own faces a lot unconsciously. Wait
till hands are washed with Warm(*) water with soap.
- If you must, use back of hand, not palms your grip
doors & transport handles & food packets
- Maybe touch your face with the back of your right
hand, if you must. & use left knuckles for lift
- Some carry small disinfectant/alcohol rub sprays in bag, (like in
hospital & care home corridors).
- I have a small self pump spray, bought with
antiseptic for wounds, long empty, used for years with
isopropyl alcohol for spray
- Old empty small perfume bottles should work if filled
with alcohol. ? Old expired throat
sprays could also be Not discarded, but washed out &
used as hand alcohol sprays.
- Section needs rewrite German chemist
(Apotheke) told me alcohols should be 70% (&
thats metric not the Gay Lussac scale the Brits
& American's use for Spirit, where eg whisky
is about 70% GL but only about 40% by volume. I
have various vodka gin etc that are probably
better than nothing. Barbeque fire starter is
- I mentioned to chemist I was saving old
- (cos I'd seen a TV prog. where a rep. of
chemist retailers said currently they weren't
allowed to mix various own medicines, had to buy
it in from manufacturers, but could mix own if
allowed, but then there would be a shortage of
- She said no point saving bottles, problem was
they (she) had no alcohol.
- Any alcohol over 70% would do for Hygiene
- I mentioned I had a bit of isopropyl left, I
use for electronics cleaning
en . wikipedia . org / wiki / Isopropyl_alcohol
doesn't say on label how much water but I
remember I bought the purer sort, cos last time
with lower % alcohol I got white deposits, not
wanted on contacts), no chance of more alcohol
just now from chemists in munich.) Try on eg
- I asked her (chemist in charge) what about eg
Meths, ie Methyl alcohol, maybe that could be
used as hygiene sprays, & mixed with some
soap solution maybe ? Yes I know Meths = Methyl
alcohol is poisonous to drink, (only Ethyl
alcohol for drink) thats why meths is stained
purple to put off tramps, (& fails to deter).
But easy to buy in camping shops for primus
- She was surprised by the question, she didn't
mind chatting, but got no answer, I left her
- Research since:
- Propylene glycol. It's effective as an
antimicrobial and antiviral and safe on humans.
It's even approved as a food and drug additive.
It's one of the main ingredients in many vaping
liquids. Not toxic
- Methylene glycol also toxic as is
- Ethylene glycol is generally the main
ingredient in antifreeze
- Klax Brenn Spiritus www . chemica . de is
labelled as 1:2 (presume. 1 of it to 2 of water)
down to -15 C for windscreen anti freeze other
listed uses include camping fire, cleaning
- Smirnoff Vodka bottle here 50% Vodka's
generally 40% can go to 95%, (they're lethal must
drink alternate gulps of water, else you choke
& die, said a documentary way back)
- Bacardi Rum is 40% by vol. (70% UK proof on
Gay Lussac scale, see Wiki.)
- Stroh Rum (Austrian comes in 60 & 80
bevbox . de / rum / brauner- rum / 395 / original - stroh - 80 - inlaender - rum - 0 - 5l
"Alkoholgehalt: 80% vol." The 80 is used over
burning sugar sticks dropping in to hot red wine
to make Feuer Stangen Bohle. ... but the Rum
itself is doubtless sticky, lots of sugar
description says "Overproof Rum ... Taste:
- Ouzo 37.5%
- Tequila 40%
- Whiskey 40 (normal) to 68 (see Wiki.
- Even those big 1 & 5 litre blue car
screen wash have some alcohols in them.
- The radiator anti freeze has alcohols
- Probably some worse than others, Some sticky,
cause skin irritation if not washed off with
water, cancerous possibly ? I don't know Some
Bcc'd & some on list will know more.
- Small medicine bottles: perhaps Keep empties ! In
Germany/ EU law prevents chemists mixing their own, but
they could easily if allowed, but then they'd be short of
bottles. I leave my labels on (I don't soak them off) to
make it easier for anyone re-processing/ refilling to see
what old contents were, to ease decision on what internal
washing is needed.
- Public Transport: Don't Touch Hand Grip Buttons Rails
etc more than possible. Wear gloves. Elbow lift buttons.
Reduce Bus & railway usage. Use private transport
(car, bike, foot, buggy, skate board, electro scooter).
Open windows on busses to dilute stuffy air.
- Supermarket trolley:
- Wear gloves. Take the one with hand grip exposed to
most ultra violet & cold longest outside in car park.
Not the one still warm. Or hold somewhere else than usual
on the frame. Give people in queue ahead a good extra
- Keep back from Cashier, don't breathe on them.
- Consider wearing gloves
- Pay by plastic card, saves cashiers handling money.
(BTW this author dislikes using plastic cards, especially
those without PIN number, however this is an emergency,
- How many handled your shopped item on shelf before
you got it home ? Consider wash or clean (with soap or alcohol spray) surfaces of shop
products brought home before you stick them in the fridge
or on the shelf ?
- Air Quality:
- Ask office personnel & trade unions etc what
percentage of office air, the air con recycles how often,
compared to other buildings ? (Author used to work in a
particularly low percentage office South of Munich where
lots more employees regularly fell sick than in other
- Cross width of pavement/ path/ road out of air path
of coughers in front. (Author also crosses away from
- Tell doctors: you & all patients should visit
doctor by timed appointment. Not first all share your
germs in crowded waiting rooms.
- Avoid crowded stuffy places. Force a window open.
Better Be cold than Catch a cold or worse.
- Face masks apparently are not much good. But sitting
near a splutterer eg over a meal tempts fate too much.
WHO recommends keeping a metre back from people. A
supermarket trolley in a queue keeps more space than a
- Avoid young kids & their parents. Kids are
clueless super conductors. Avoid people who've just flown
back from suspect locations in last weeks. Encourage
business travellers to work from home more, self
- Reduce stuffy restaurant & pub visits. Select
less crowded venues & times. Meet people more outside
on terraces at warmer mid day, less inside warm fuggy
pubs on cold evenings. Take tin foil. Tell waiters to
open some windows or turn on extractors, else you will
leave Now with food in tin foil.
- If walking in park is allowed: Keep off the paths !
Keep on the grass ! Paths are where everyone else's virus
polluted air is. If you have a mountain bike: Keep off
the paths, nows the time to prove it's not just a city
bike. Don't do extreme exercises or high risk, the
hospitals won't have room for extra emergency
- I Caught A Bug ! - What Is It ? "I hope you haven`t
got the Corona virus!"
- - A dearth of media info on symptoms how to be
- - Apparently most who get COVID19 will only exhibit
mild symptoms if any.
- - So how many wont even know they ever had it, just
another bug ?
- - Only people who in some way get checked, eg:
- Professional athletes &
- The severely ill ie mostly young & old
- Those travelling from contaminated sources who
trigger an airport or ship thermometer level &
subsequent compulsory check.
- Those with non severe symptoms, who have full
health insurance that covers all test costs, who
understand their health insurance, & are certain
no annual no claims bonus will be lost by a
- So we will only ever know some small subset of those
COVID19 infects, unless there's a mega pandemic when most
infections can be assumed COVID19. (Couple of days after
I wrote the above, Chief UK Scientist said about 13th
march or so: could be up to 10,000 undetected cases in
- Free tests in.de:
www . mdr . de / nachrichten / panorama / coronavirus - test - kostenuebernahme - 100 .html
- Munich a drive in testing place on
geospatialworld . net / blogs / satellite - imagery - of - covid - 19 - testing - facilities - munichgermany/
- Other info:
thelocal . de / 20200306 / coronavirus - how - where - and - when - to - get - tested - or - self - quarantine - in - germany
- And more:
pnp . de / nachrichten / bayern / Wie - der - Corona - Test - funktioniert - wer - ihn - durchfuehrt - und - bezahlt - 3634876 .html
- A friend wrote:
- My friend said he phoned his doctor and based on
where he'd been and his symptoms was sent the testing kit
in the post, directly. He then just had to follow the
instructions and send off. Nothing paid.
- New test for CV19 coming, 15 minutes... assaygenie
. com / covid - 19 - rapid - poc - test/
- Reported here:
itv . com / news / 2020 - 03 - 25 / coronavirus - home - testing - kits - expected - in - uk - retailers - within - days/
- ljk@: Heard a doctor on the radio saying that most
masks were more of a risk than no mask. Because most
masks are just one or more layers of material, they can
let moisture through. The wearer's breath will also
condense in the material. People get their hands
contaminated from surfaces, then touch the mask, the
moisture is drawn through, with the virus in it and gets
into the user's airway.
- Smokers: at much higher risk of dying from CV19...
thelancet . com / journals / lanres / article / PIIS2213 - 2600 ( 20 ) 30117 - X / fulltext
independent . co . uk / news / health / coronavirus - news - live - uk - cases - update - deaths - symptoms - test - nhs - a9426591 .html
biopanda . co . uk / php / products / rapid / infectious_diseases / covid19 . php
alphabiolabs . co . uk / workplace - testing - services / coronavirus - testing - kit/
Brexit: Best delay the
- Corona brings global recession, central banks
- UK & EU economies will be further hit by rushed
- Corona has already quarantined chief negotiators (UK:
David Frost & EU:
Michel Barnier) & UK PM Boris Johnson
& Germany's Angela
- Crippled economies can afford less help for