GEA Cellar Book
The original Free Book Give Away (not purchase, not exchange,
swap, but Give Away) happens now at the Beer Gardeners
(which is Not part
- About 10 or 15 years back I Julian was taking
piles of books down, & leaving them in my upturned
smokey perspex & other boxes, with a sign marked
"Free Books but do Not take the box!"
- Sometimes others gave me books to put in box
or brought their own to put in box.
- Alistair gave me some piles of books to give away too,
some were individually given away, & soem went in the
- It got to be a nuisance for me to carry remaining
books home, so I asked at bar if we could put them in the
- Gradually the pile in the cupboard grew, but most
committee members were too clueless to pull the books out
on Fridays & put a sign "Free Books" to encourage
people to come.
- Hilary Jay (her self annointed alias Sunny) started
Selling the books to raise money for the GEA (also selling monthly programs). That
degraded the atmosphere somewhatr. Visitors felt less like
guest, more like customers being sold to by a the
saleswoman less than a pleasure to behold. As usual as with
every GEA thing Sunny hijacked
though, she seemed to think it was her idea, & must be
done her way. - It died - she later left.