Question: "Why don't you use "social media" ?
Answer: This has become a FAQ (Frequently Answered
Other Texts & Other
FAQs by Julian H. Stacey
- No, I'm not on web private forums eg
Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Gulp etc.
- No, Not everyone likes to use "social media", aka web
- No I'm not alone using mail lists, I am
on between 50 to 100 mail lists that have lots of other
One of my mail filters: www . berklix . com / ~jhs / dots
- Yes, more people less technically skilled like click
& fumble `social' web forums.
- Yes, lots don't want to learn mail lists or anything
- Yes, Most of them used to Microsoft, No need to follow them).
- Yes, Mail lists can help exclude fumblers too lazy to
- Yes I know how low that bar is, as I
support too many incompetents too lazy to think, on a small
subset of mail
- Yes many technically highly competent friends like mail
lists, & tend to avoid web forums that attract more
newbies, & less skilled people.
- Yes, Anonymous forums more often become
ANTI-social, irresponsible, & trivial, than mail
lists with a real personal sender address that encourages
- Yes, web forums avoid spam by mail, But also usually
anonymous webs have more noise from members, so forums are
then censored by usually unpaid egotists to keep noise
The choice is thus noise from mail spam or noise
from anonymous forum members with less
- I prefer noise from spam than forums,
as I block almost all spam automatically.
( Despite my servers & my addresses are massively
assailed by spammers, harvested from public archive sites
with my addresses on, some un-obfuscated from era before
spammers existed, + my domains + lists I'm
on & run, (most especially all the MS PCs harvested by
spammer viruses on certain clueless lists I
- I avoid monopolists such as Microsoft
Facebook Google etc trying
to privatise the Internet & lock everyone in, so avoid
using them. I'm a keen supporter of Open Source & Open
Standards. Other supporters of Open Source &
Standards in Munich include eg BIM & SFD & Linux & Gnu
& other clubs.
- I prefer Push (mail) To Pull (web) technology, eg I want
my devices to be able to hold archives of messages to be
read, without needing free instantaneous fast continuous
- BTW: Some domains such as freebsd.org offer a choice of
mail lists & web forums: last I looked
the web forums seemed less well informed than mail lists
maybe 'cos newbies like the lack of commitment & learning
of web forums.)