Question: "Why don't you use `social media' web sites
Answer: "Mostly Anti- Social:
- Trapping you to closed censored proprietary bubbles,
unlike public email addresses.
- More clueless users who fail the rigour of providing
attributable references with assertions.
- Infested with anonymous trolls.
Usually some users (Trolls) tend to hide behind
anonymity to indulge in irresponsible libellous abuse &
bullying, degrading conversations with flames etc. Normal
users foolishly lock themselves into their commercial
provider's subset of the internet, so its hard to attach,
import/ export & quote, they often can't be contacted by
any other public standard addresses of web home page / email/
phone/ post/ sms/ fax/ telex etc, & they are also
un-contact-able if their provider cuts them off in any
dispute, & because they are too dumb to realise all this
they are usually also not net savvy, & usually fail to
rigorously attribute sources & attach URLs (web refs etc)
& too often fall gullible to unsubstantiated allegations,
- No, I'm not on web private forums eg
Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Gulp etc.
- No, Not everyone likes to use "[anti-] social media", aka
web chatter forums.
- No I'm not alone using mail lists, I am
on maybe 100 mail lists that have lots of other people.
One of my mail filters: www . berklix . com / ~jhs / dots
- Yes, more people less technically skilled like click
& fumble `[anti-] social' web forums.
- Yes, lots don't want to learn mail lists or anything else
- Yes, Most use Microsoft, No need to follow
- Yes, Mail lists can help exclude fumblers too lazy to
- Yes that bar is low, known as I
supported too many lazy incompetents on a small subset of mail
- Yes many technically highly competent friends like mail
lists, & tend to avoid web forums that attract more
newbies, & less skilled people.
- Yes, Anonymous forums more often become
ANTI-social, irresponsible, & trivial, Mail lists
with a real personal sender addresses can tend to discourage
some irresponsibility engendered by anonymity; Though yes,
there's occasional flame wars too on mail lists.
- Yes, web forums may avoid spam by mail, But also usually
anonymous webs have adverts and more noise from members, so
forums are then censored by usually unpaid egotists to keep
The choice becomes noise from mail spam (that can
be automatically filtered) or noise from anonymous forum
members with less discipline, subject to censors. You
then get a choice of censors: Either egotists who think they
are appreciated, but are not (power corrupts), or paid censors,
responsible to a boss, but paid poorly, & overworked,
better to let the the users themselves discipline, & split
& merge between mail lists, on whichever forums, using
plain human names, as people do in physical meetings.
- I prefer noise from mail spam than
forums, as I block almost all spam
automatically. ( Despite my servers & my addresses
are massively assailed by spammers, harvested from public
archive sites with my addresses on, some un-obfuscated from
era before spammers existed, + my domains + lists I'm on & run, (most especially all the MS PCs
harvested by spammer viruses on clueless members of certain
- I avoid monopolists such as Microsoft
Facebook Google etc trying
to privatise the Internet & lock everyone in, so avoid
using them. I'm a keen supporter of Open Source & Open
Standards. Other supporters of Open Source &
Standards in Munich include eg BIM & SFD & Linux & Gnu
& other clubs.
- I prefer Push (mail) To Pull (web) technology, eg I want
my devices to be able to hold archives of messages to be
read, without needing free instantaneous fast continuous
- BTW: Some domains such as freebsd.org offer a choice of
mail lists & web forums. I don't use the web forums, but
do use many of the mail lists.