- Epub can be unlocked or locked format, book sellers
promote & sell locked format.
Android has apps that read
epub format, eg
Free epub here
Epub is a container, just a renamed zip, containing
multiple HTML files and optional graphical files. So to
force Tolino to show in an index a different name for eg an
epub2 or 3
Calibre can generate ebook
formats such as .epub (for Tolino
etc) (& .azw3 for Kindle )
from .pdf & maybe other formats.
- It is fronted by a graphical tool runs on X11
runs on FreeBSD & Android & MacOS & iOS
& MS-Windows .
- It has a built in reader
- open source
- can take plugins to do a wide variety of additional
things, eg there is a Kindle DRM stripper plugin, with
can buy Kindle ebooks on Amazon, strip the DRM and
convert to epub for other devices.
- Search "PDF to EPUB with Calibre" : most of the
hits were for other programs which are designed to
convert PDFs to EPUB. In most of the hits there was a
statement like "People always complain about how
poorly Calibre handles PDFs. Use my app
- Calibre: There's a Wiki or support forum for it
someplace. You can also edit the EPUB in
- JHS exported the UK's Intelligence and
Security Committee of Parliament - Russia Report from
PDF to epub with Calibre (using
See note Re. Calibre in (by now possibly obsolete?)
comment in withouthotair . com /
epubVersions . html "The original seems to have
been made with a software package called Calibre which is
not renowned for the quality of its products"
- Later JHS will convert Geoff's
Command Line Interpreter Usage Later ?
runs on Freebsd
- does a fairly good job, but it produces lots of .png
files which contain the text - which will kill scalable text
& line folding. & HTML browser on tolino is awful.
Problems viewing similar .epub
simultaneously to compare formats:
- Calibre can display epub (GJ & LK have, JHS failed)
- The Tolino viewer is too
`clever' : it extracts book & author name, but doesn't
show path name to select by, so at first, only way was to
delete all but one, & reboot Tolino, until I learnt how to edit an EPUB
- Not tried an epub plug-in on firefox
on BSD, nervous of