Tolino (Models: "Shine" & "Vision 4 HD") - eReaders
Connecting via USB from With FreeBSD
FreeBSD sees it as MSDOS file system[s] (2 for "Shine", 1 for
"Vision 4 HD" ) using devd
Other option to import an epub
- Write it on a micro SD
card The "Shine" has a slot, though the "Vision 4 HD"
- Adapters for normal to micro
SD cards used to com standard when one purchased micro SD
cards, so many people will have spare adapters. USB to
standard size SD Cards adapters are ubiquitous, I have at
least 2 here, 1 came from the 1 Euro shop, so cheap. Some
laptops & USB adapters & PC tower top plates have
SD Card slots next to USB sockets.
- Put an epub on an httpd server,
& download into Tolino (You may not need write access
to a remote http:// server, maybe your local router
supports access to a USB memory stick from its WLAN?)
Comparison & Evaluation:
Model: Tolino Shine
Model: "Vision 4 HD" Model: "Vision 4 HD"
Weights to compare:
- 178 gram Tolino Shine :no cover, small tablet
- 176 gram Tolino Vision 4 HD : no cover, small tablet
- 207 gram Samsung Galaxy Note
3 inc. flip cover
- Tolino battery lasts weeks on standby.
- Tolino Has WLAN to download books. With free access via
D-Telekom as some promo. to sell books.
- Tolino Has via SDRAM chip socket like in smart
Tolino Browser is best not used: Dead slow, & Awful,
- OK: Frames are supported, eg in berklix.com/~jhs/brexit/russia/report.html
(Frames are not available in old browsers such as
pdftohtml command offers a flag to suppress
generation of frames).
- Caution: Left icon outside the top box does not go
back to previous URL, it drops out of browser into main
menu. You want the left & right icons within the top
- OK: Does access a directory without a trailing
- OK: Reload key is circular icon on right of URL top
OK: Tolino recognise Tilde = '~' as in ~jhs, though
seems to be none on keyboard. Here's a test:
- Fails to use the '#' tag in a URL, eg clicking
it just goes to top of page,
(As does berklix.eu/brexit/)
It does not scroll down to the 'Russia' tag.
- More memory internal, no external socket.